Back in November we presented our ten favorite lesser-known Britney Spears covers. Early-aughts nostalgia reigned with radically altered takes on classic hits like “Oops…I Did It Again!” and “Toxic.” Well, Britney’s back, and so are we. “Hold It Against Me” turns one terrible pickup line into four minutes of guilty-pleasure pop. The single only dropped two weeks ago, but, it being Britney and all, artists have hopped on the cover bandwagon with a speed we haven’t seen since “F*** You.”
Below, we round up our five favorite covers of “Hold It Against Me” thus far. With Spears’ next album due later this year, we have no doubt some great work is yet to come. Still, the diversity below exhibits once again the transcendent power of basic pop.
• Alex Goot, a go-to guy for pop covers, creates another sound collage that mixes a healthy dose of rock and roll and some barroom piano.
• Chester See slows things down a little – okay, a lot – on this minor key ballad. When’s the last time you saw a guitar solo performed on a diving board?
• Classical pianist Sunny Choi ditches the lyrics altogether on a stunning reinvention. Guess this shows why she’s nicknamed Britney “Chopin” Spears. Wait, she’s not?
• Ryan Clouse puts the whole thing to a funky Dispatch-esque slap bass line.
• Maria Zouroudis gives us one of those multi-cam a cappella creations we love so much. Hey, Mike Tompkins, what’s the hold up?
Alex Goot – Hold It Against Me (Britney Spears cover)
Chester See – Hold It Against Me (Britney Spears cover)
Sunny Choi – Hold It Against Me (Britney Spears cover)
Ryan Clouse – Hold It Against Me (Britney Spears cover)
Maria Zouroudis – Hold It Against Me (Britney Spears cover)
Check out more at BritneySpears.com.