Our Five Favorite Coachella Covers ft. Prince, La Roux, Girls, Beach House, and Amanda Palmer
The weather may still be a giant grey slushpile outside, but the Coachella lineup just dropped, and you know what that means: time to start thinking about summer music! As always, the annual extravaganza kicks off the fest season, taking advantage of the fact that SoCal can host outdoor shows a bit earlier in the year than can, say, Chicago (Lollapalooza). This year’s lineup features Cover Me favs like Robyn, Mumford & Sons, and the Swell Season. Kanye West headlines the final night – is it too much to ask to hope for a Telephoned collaboration? (answer: yes it is).
In the past, Coachella has inspired heaps of special covers from artists big and small. Below, we look back with five of our favorite Coachella covers.
• Prince kicks things off with his one-time-only version of Radiohead’s “Creep.”
• Beach House goes hip-hop with Gucci Mane’s “Lemonade.”
• Surf bums Girls put their gorgeous harmonies to work on the Everly Brothers’ “All I Have to Do Is Dream.”
• Amanda Palmer joins cellist Zoe Keating for a goth-cabaret “Time Is Running Out.”
• La Roux get the dance floor jumping with an electroed-out take on the Rolling Stones‘ “Under My Thumb.”
Prince – Creep (Radiohead cover)
Beach House – Lemonade (Gucci Mane cover)
Girls – All I Have to Do Is Dream (Everly Brothers cover)
Amanda Palmer and Zoe Keating – Time Is Running Out (Muse cover)
La Roux – Under My Thumb (Rolling Stones cover)
Tickets for Coachella 2011 go on sale Friday at Coachella.com.
Not sure what i think about that Prince cover of Creep. In a lot of ways it’s pretty interesting and he does some neat stuff with the arrangement and I dig the guitar work. But damn… there are certain songs you just don’t clap to. Creep is one of them.
You used my video for La Roux. It was such a great cover! I have some other videos of bands covering some great songs if you need them!