In honor of the 45th anniversary of “The Velvet Underground & Nico,” Castle Face and Universal will be releasing not only the record’s 458th reissue (really), but also a covers compilation of the album. The covers compilation, one of six CDs in the limited edition box set, features a handful of Bay Area rockers. Although the set is not available until October 30th, you can listen to and download Ty Segall‘s manic rendition of “Femme Fatale.”
As you probably heard, Saturday was Record Store Day. In fact, you probably heard that here. Many, many times. Yes, we’ve already done plenty of RSD cover coverage. In brief:
• Of Montreal Record Buffalo Springfield Cover for Record Store Day
• Listen: LCD Soundsystem Covers Franz Ferdinand’s “Live Alone”
• Listen: The Decemberists Sing the Louvin Brothers for Record Store Day
• Listen: Foo Fighters Release Two New Covers on ‘Medium Rare’
• Peaches, ESG, and Stephin Merritt Cover Franz Ferdinand for Record Store Day
• LCD Soundsystem’s “Someone Great” Receives a Folk Makeover by the Toadies
• Green Day Celebrates Record Store Day with “Don’t Want to Know If You Are Lonely”
Well, believe it or not, there’s more. Lots more. So below we round up our favorite Record Store Day covers we haven’t posted yet. They include new covers by the Flaming Lips, Built to Spill, Steve Earle, The Twilight Sad, Clinic, and Ty Segall. Check ‘em out below!
Yesterday we began our SXSW wrapup by introducing you to Ezra Furman and the Harpoons, Sondre Lerche, PS I Love You, Still Corners, and Candy Golde. Today we round things off with five more finds. These artists blew us away in Austin and, though they’ve never appeared on the site before, we’re sure they will again.