Frightened Rabbit has this uncanny ability to turn even the most upbeat and poppy of songs into something deep and morose. For example, when the Scottish band stopped by the triple j studio for “Like A Version,” they took Best Coast‘s love ode to California, “The Only Place,” and somehow managed to make it seem like California is mostly cloudy and dark.
Scottish folk-rock band Frightened Rabbit have appeared on Cover Me multiple times, covering everyone from Springsteen to Death Cab, but rarely do we get to post about someone covering a Frightened Rabbit song. Denver-based singer-songwriter John Statz’ fifth studio release, Old Fashioned, is due out on January 24th. On Monday, folk covers website Cover Lay Down premiered the only non-original song on the album, FR’s “Old Old Fashioned.”
Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m Goin’ Down” is on pace to become one of the most covered tracks in his catalog, amassing quite a number of versions from high-profile artists like Spoon, Florence Welch, and Vampire Weekend. The latest take comes from a collaboration between two Scottish indie musicians, Frightened Rabbit‘s Scott Hutchison and Meursault’s Neil Pennycook. During their acoustic session for Location Music TV, the duo also covered a track from fellow Scot Dan Willson, better known as folk act Withered Hand.
As you probably heard, Saturday was Record Store Day. In fact, you probably heard that here. Many, many times. Yes, we’ve already done plenty of RSD cover coverage. In brief:
• Of Montreal Record Buffalo Springfield Cover for Record Store Day
• Listen: LCD Soundsystem Covers Franz Ferdinand’s “Live Alone”
• Listen: The Decemberists Sing the Louvin Brothers for Record Store Day
• Listen: Foo Fighters Release Two New Covers on ‘Medium Rare’
• Peaches, ESG, and Stephin Merritt Cover Franz Ferdinand for Record Store Day
• LCD Soundsystem’s “Someone Great” Receives a Folk Makeover by the Toadies
• Green Day Celebrates Record Store Day with “Don’t Want to Know If You Are Lonely”
Well, believe it or not, there’s more. Lots more. So below we round up our favorite Record Store Day covers we haven’t posted yet. They include new covers by the Flaming Lips, Built to Spill, Steve Earle, The Twilight Sad, Clinic, and Ty Segall. Check ‘em out below!