This year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Deep Purple’s hard rock classic Machine Head. In recognition of Deep Purple’s influence some of rock music’s biggest names have contributed a version of their favorite track from the album for a tribute. The result is Re-Machined: A Tribute To Deep Purple’s Machine Head. There are two very differing versions of the album’s most famous track “Smoke On The Water”, one from guitar legend Carlos Santana with vocals by Jacoby Shaddix and one from alternative rockers The Flaming Lips.
“We were asked if we’d contribute to the anniversary of Machine Head — we can’t turn that down,” Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich told Loudwire.com in a recent interview. Metallica covers “When A Blind Man Cries”, a later released B-side from the Machine Head sessions. Re-Machined also features specially recorded tracks from former Deep Purple Mk III member Glenn Hughes with Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, Chickenfoot, Black Label Society, Jimmy Barnes & Joe Bonamassa and the supergroup Kings Of Chaos featuring Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, and others. The album is scheduled to be released by Eagle Records on September 25.
Listen to two cuts below, and more (including Flaming Lips and Metallica) at Ultimate Classic Rock.
Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head Tracklist:
01. Smoke on the Water – Carlos Santana
02. Highway Star – Chickenfoot
03. Maybe I’m a Leo – Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Luis Maldonado
04. Pictures of Home – Black Label Society
05. Never Before – Kings of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Arlan Schierbaum)
06. Smoke on the Water – The Flaming Lips
07. Lazy – Jimmy Barnes, Joe Bonamassa
08. Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
09. When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
10. Highway Star – Glenn Hughes, Steve Vai, Chad Smith, Lachlan Doley
You can pre-order ‘Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head’ at Amazon.