The Black Keys have been around since 2001 despite being thrust into the spotlight just a couple years ago. All the same, calling them “veterans” would seem a bit lofty when compared to, say, Iggy Pop or drummer Ginger Baker (of Cream). So you’d think the Black Keys (accomplished cover artists themselves) would be covering those guys, but a new tribute album to the Keys, Black on Blues, has it the other way around.
Pop and Baker take on the Akron duo’s song “Lonely Boy,” off 2011′s El Camino, playing a version surprisingly similar to the original, aside from Pop’s classic, nasally voice. It’s a great song and worth hearing even if not much has changed from the original. Pop and Baker’s names may be the most familiar on the tribute album, but the rest of the cast is impressive as well, from icons like Walter Trout of Canned Heat and Dave Davies of the Kinks, to lesser-known blues stalwarts like Tab Benoit and Papa Mali. Download “Lonely Boy” below and check out the rest of the tracklist from Black on Blues, out July 17th.
Black on Blues Tracklist:
1. Lonely Boy – Iggy Pop & Ginger Baker (Cream)
2. Tighten Up – Walter Trout (Canned Heat)
3. Girl Is On My Mind – Mike Zito & Cyril Neville (Neville Brothers)
4. Gold On The Ceiling – Tab Benoit
5. I Got Mine – Leslie West (Mountain)
6. When The Lights Go Out – Papa Mali
7. Next Girl – Oli Brown Band
8. Money Maker – Dave Davies (The Kinks) & Huw Lloyd-Langton (ex-Hawkwind)
9. Howlin For You – Albert Lee
10. Everlasting Light – Pat Travers
11. Chop And Change – Larry McCray
12. Little Black Submarines – Devon Allman (Widespread Panic) & Mani Neumeier (Guru Guru)