Quickies rounds up new can’t-miss covers. Download ‘em below.
• Last month, the Rosebuds covered the Talking Heads. The choice was a natural – both groups deliver poppy, off-kilter melodies that worm into your head for days. Salt-n-Pepa, on the other hand, haven’t influenced Ivan and Kelly Rosebud one iota. They just re-released it for free on their new Bandcamp.
MP3: The Rosebuds – Push It (Salt-n-Pepa cover)
• Harry Nilsson songs never lack for covers, but Brass Bed and Allison Bohl’s new On Nilsson EP shows they know how to do it right. The keyboard-haze on “One” makes it that much more lonesome. (via My Old Kentucky Blog)
MP3: Brass Bed with Allison Bohl – One (Harry Nilsson cover)
• The Vietnam war documentary sample that starts out this electropop gem indicates straight off this won’t be a typical Neil Young cover. The band may be named Gitar, but Snyh and Drm Pad might be more accurate.
MP3: Gitar – Hippie Dream (Neil Young cover)
• Fort Frances follows the basic template of Beck’s “Guess I’m Doing Fine,” but strips a little of the beachiness away from the original, shifting things a few miles farther from California and closer to Appalachia.
MP3: Fort Frances – Guess I’m Doing Fine (Beck cover)
• overlord released their brilliantly-titled album In Soviet Russian, My Heart Breaks For You to some college radio buzz last year and just sent over a pair of follow-up covers. Their lo-fi Smiths churn draws elements of chillwave and doowop alike, but the Del Shannon b-side draws out their more poppy, melodic side.
MP3: overlord – Reel Around the Fountain (The Smiths cover)
MP3: overlord – Kelly (Del Shannon cover)
Check out more Quickies here.