Quickies rounds up new can’t-miss covers. Download ‘em below.
• Heike Has the Giggles hail from the tiny town of Solarolo, Italy, so we’ll give them the benefit of the doubt about that horrid band name. Thankfully, their funky alt-rock take on Beyoncé’s “Crazy in Love” shows better judgement.
MP3: Heike Has the Giggles – Crazy in Love (Beyoncé cover)
• In 2003, minimalist songwriter/composer Yann Tiersen wrote the score to indie hit Good Bye Lenin. “Summer ‘78” bookended the soundtrack as a plaintive piano meditation…until now. Choongum turns it into an enormous electro banger that will shatter your speakers when played at the proper volume.
MP3: Choongum – Summer ’78 (Yann Tiersen cover)
• Common Prayer does the Talking Heads right on this quirky indie cover of “Love -> Building on Fire.” This joyful romp will stay stuck in your head for days, with xylophone, boy-girl harmonies, and a whole lot of tweeting.
MP3: Common Prayer – Love -> Building on Fire (Talking Heads cover)
• These two Low covers cropped up with little fanfare on Song-o-Matic last week. They come from little-known emo band Maya Shore, who get the slowcore-crescendo vibe just right.
MP3: Maya Shore – The Plan (Low cover)
MP3: Maya Shore – Words (Low cover)
• Best known for debut single “It’s My Party,” Lesley Gore in fact had several other hits in the mid-‘60s. One was “You Don’t Own Me,” a schmaltzy nugget with surprising attitude. Sneak Peek takes it to the garage, giving it a grungy menace without sacrificing the pop charms.
MP3: Sneak Peek – You Don’t Own Me (Lesley Gore cover)
Check out more Quickies here.