It’s a bit of a task to sort through all of the “covers” of Lady Gaga‘s “Born This Way.” For most popular songs, this would be the result of a sheer overwhelming amount of people attempting to replicate the original. With “Born This Way,” however, there’s the added multitude of recordings coming from Gaga’s early Twittering of the song’s lyrics. For that reason, we excluded from consideration anything released before the official song release.
Without further ado we present five premium covers, the latest in our series that has spanned from “F*** You” to “Hold It Against Me.” For an artist who thrives on pushing boundaries as much as Gaga, this song sticks to a cookie-cutter pop mold. The clips in this video roundup, though, manage to bring out all of the song’s personality.
Note: Before people get up in arms about the little girl on the piano not being on here, let’s briefly address something. This site concerns covers, not kids who are adorable and thus able to accumulate almost 10 million YouTube views as of this writing. Hers is good, but not one of the five best. Sorry, nine-year olds – no favoritism. That said, away we go!
• Tyler Ward and Alex G kick it off with a polished duet.
• Matt Ryd gives us an acoustic cover that he seems to actually be enjoying quite a bit and you can’t help but have fun listening to it.
• Meanwhile, Cameron J delivers the best one-man a cappella cover (of which there are a great deal) and still has time for his potato chips.
• Bringing us back to the guitar-and-a-webcam style that defines YouTube covers, Molfito gives us a quietly soulful acoustic cover.
• Finally, Austin Celaya shows off his considerable production chops with this fantastic instrumental cover.
Tyler Ward ft. Alex G – Born This Way (Lady Gaga cover)
Matt Ryd – Born This Way (Lady Gaga cover)
Cameron J – Born This Way (Lady Gaga cover)
Molfito – Born This Way (Lady Gaga cover)
Austin Celaya – Born This Way (Lady Gaga cover)
Know any other good “Born This Way” covers? Post ’em in the comments!