Certain records labels come to represent a sound as fully as the bands they represent. Sub Pop, Epitaph, Matador – all names that conjure up a particular aesthetic for those familiar with their roster. Anova Music may not boast the fame or history of the big labels, but with its small lineup it too represents a specific sound: Israeli indie. Genre-wise, it’s all over the board – from the EatLiz hard rockers to jazz singer Ruth Dolores Weiss – but the small community stays strong.
On a selfish note, we like Anova because of all the covers they send us. Whether generated by label policy or coincidental artist initiative, the songs always deliver. In September we posted Electra’s cover of Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love” and we recently named Weiss’ Leonard Cohen cover one of the best of 2010.
To celebrate the new year, Anova brings us a full covers EP. As stylistically diverse as these things can get, it features near-metal Björk, smooth electro Radiohead, and a knockout slow-burn through Jimi Hendrix’s “Manic Depression.” Check out some samples, including one special holiday track:
Like what you heard? Of course you did. Grab the full thing here.
1. Yair Yona – The Bright New Year (Bert Jansch)
2. Amit Erez – Blue Moon (Big Star)
3. Noa Babayof – Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix)
4. Ruth Dolores Weiss – Feeling Good (Nina Simone)
5. Kitzu – Kid A (Radiohead)
6. Electra – I Feel Good (Donna Summer)
7. Rockfour – Arnold Layne (Pink Floyd)
8. EatLiz – Army of Me (Björk)
Learn more at AnovaMusic.com.