So it begins: Listomania 2010. Like every music blog worth its proverbial salt, Cover Me will be going list-crazy this month. The difference is, our lists will specialize in – you guessed it – cover songs. Take the typical year-end list and insert the word “Cover” between “Best” and “Albums/Songs/etc” and you have a pretty good idea of what to expect. First up: The Best Cover Videos of 2010.
Cover songs hit the web faster than ever these days, but well-crafted cover videos remain relatively rare. Sure, YouTube is bursting with webcam performances and DIY concert footage, but bedroom confessions soon grow tiresome. Well-crafted cover music videos (remember those?) come along far less often. A great video can be art on its own, playing with – or against – the audio recording to create a viewer/listener experience greater than the sum of its parts.
Below, we present our top ten cover videos of 2010. In some cases the song’s origins play an essential role in the music video; in others it makes no difference. Each brings new imagery, insight, or, in some cases, lolz to the song it accompanies. A Rastafarian astronaut shoots lasers. Apples float around a Twilight Zone apartment. Pig people fight mummy surgeons in the basement.
Check out our ten favs below, then tell us which you liked best.
of Horses cover)
Directed by Ted Malmros
9. James Blake – The Limit to Your Love (Feist cover)
Directed by Martin de Thurah
8. Ozzy Osbourne – How? (John Lennon cover)
Directed by Ernie Fritz
7. Maria McAteer – Baby (Justin Bieber cover)
Directed by Maria McAteer and Björn Dahlberg
6. Mates of State – Love Letter (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds cover)
Directed by Daniel Garcia
5. The Cinematic Orchestra – Lilac Wine (James Shelton cover)
Directed by Blind
4. Bonnie “Prince” Billy – Hombre Sencillo [Simple Man]
(Graham Nash cover)
Directed by Britt Govea and Brian Ziffer
3. Hugo – 99 Problems (Jay-Z cover)
Directed by Colin Tilley
2. N.A.S.A. – Chase the Devil (Max Romeo cover)
Directed by Don Letts
1. Xu Xu Fang – China Girl (David Bowie cover)
Directed by Keith Musil
Check back tomorrow for the Best Cover Albums of 2010.