Yang Yang is not a very nice man. The title character to a 1972 Yoko Ono song “sends his men pebbles and stones” and “rips his women down to the bones.” What does this mean? Nothing good. As with much of Ono’s work, it is vagueness in the service of “art.” Still, even if you can’t define the lines, you can’t question the sinister chill.
Anika nails this threatening ambiance on her pulsing cover. The Berlin-and-London-based singer builds an electronic throb to warble over. It could be the soundtrack to an artsy slasher film—the part where the killer slowly approaches the girl in a dead-end hallway. No need to hurry. What’s coming is coming and there’s nothing she can do about it.
“Yang Yang” comes off Anika’s cover-heavy debut. Check out the cover and tracklist below.
01. Terry (Twinkle cover)
02. The End of the World (Skeeter Davis cover)
03. Yang Yang (Yoko One cover)
04. Masters of War (Bob Dylan cover)
05. Maybe I
06. Sadness Hides the Sun (Greta Ann cover)
07. I Go to Sleep (The Kinks cover)
08. No One’s There
09. Masters of War (dub remix)