I don’t know who coined the term “dog days of summer,” but they clearly weren’t talking about music blogs. As the hottest month of the year wraps up, there’s a lot to look back on. Long anticipated covers finally surfaced by the likes of Fever Ray and Mavis Staples. Out-of-nowhere surprises bowled us over, like the bevy of joyful “F*** You”s. Brian Wilson grabbed the brass ring with his George Gershwin tribute disc and we celebrated the birthdays of Madonna and Elvis Costello. Our friends at Consequence of Sound helped us navigate the world of festival covers and the Roots took us through some U2.
Find all this and more as we collect our favorite August posts. Florence and the Machine sang that the dog days are over. For Cover Me though, the dog days never really began.
• Presenting: The Five Best “F*** You” Covers (So Far) | Cee-Lo Green’s instant-classic soul jam gets turned rock, bluegrass, folk, classical, and more!
• In the Spotlight: My Morning Jacket
• Consequence of Sound Presents…Best Fest Covers
• They Say It’s Your Birthday: Madonna
• Review: Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin